Fergie Theory Western Black Knee-High Boots Women's Shoes Size 7 M NEW
As a pastor’s daughter and granddaughter, I know church. Many people have visited a church on a Sunday morning for worship or maybe even on Wednesday evening for Bible Study. But during those other days of the week, other business is going on, trust and believe that. And many times, a church is struggling with growing its membership, developing a strong church and putting in place visionary leadership. When my father retired as the pastor of my church after 38 years in 2017, our church has been in this place because we’re in a new phase of the church. So when I got the chance to interview Pastor Olu Brown, I was excited to do so. Below is his bio.
Olujimi (Olu) Brown is the father of Daya Elom Brown and Langston Wesley Brown. Olu is a native of Lufkin, Texas. He graduated from Jarvis Christian College in Hawkins, Texas and earned a Master of Divinity degree from Gammon Theological Seminary of the Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta, Georgia.
He serves as the Lead Pastor of Impact Church, a young congregation in the East Point community of Metropolitan Atlanta (impactdcd.org). With Olu’s vision and leadership, since its founding in 2007, Impact has grown from a core team of 25 people to more than 2,400 attendees each Sunday in person and 1,600 online with a $4M budget, and listed at number 5 in the 25 Fastest Growing Large United Methodists Churches, 2018 Edition.
Olu strongly believes in an active church, one that makes a meaningful impact in the lives of individuals and communities. Impact is a multicultural community committed to Doing Church Differently™. Impact DCD redefines the church experience through inclusiveness, relatable messages, energetic weekly gatherings, unique events and activities, relevant youth programs and community outreach. The people of Impact are compelled to help bring healing, justice and compassion to the world.
Pastor Brown wrote about church management and leadership in his latest books 02-3375 Frye Jackie Button Boot 76576 Leather Women Sz 8Band Leadership Directions from Moses: On the Way to a Promised Land. Below is my interview with him about these books.
1. Why did you feel the need to write “4D Impact: Smash Barriers Like a Smart Church?” Were you approached to write this book?
- Noble Outfitters Muds Womens Boots Cold Front High Boot Ladies Camo Waterproof
- Men/Women FRYE Women's Dorado Buckle Riding Boot Complete specification range Bright colors Modern and elegant
- Arche 9318 Women's Black Leather Delya Cherokee Flat Booties Size 37
- 41610 auth ALAIA burgundy suede STUDDED Ankle Boots Shoes 39
- Steel Toe Cap - King Gee - Work Boot Safety Leather Workwear CAPPED K27150
- **NEW** Asics Gel Kayano 24 Womens Running Shoes (B) (9601)
- Ladies Keesha Luca Casual Slip On Shoes By Clarks Artisan .99
- Pour La Victoire Elisa Ankle Strap Sandals, Black, 10 US
- Free People Leather Paradox Pearl Embellished Wrap Loafers Black Size 9.5
- AGL ATTILIO GUISTI LEOMBRUNI Navy Suede Shimmer Ballet Flats 36.5 / 6.5 US ITALY
- Nike Air Solarsoft ZigZag Woven QS.. Women 7.5 or Men 6.. MSRP: $95.. Ships Fast
- New Nike Air Pegasus '83 Women's Running Training Cool Grey/Volt 407477 008
- PUMA New Women’s Sky II Hi Reset Metallic Pink Hightop Sneakers Shoes Size 7
- Gentleman/Lady [Mizuno] Volleyball Shoes Wave Lightning Z4 Comfortable feeling New design Beautiful and charming
- Charlotte Olympia Work It Webbed Sneaker, 39.5
- Easy Spirit Womens SZ 5.5 Boot Black Suede Falcowm Fall Casual
- Women's Mid-Calf Boots Shoes Leopard High Stiletti Heel Cross Strappy Denim Hot
- Ladies Patent Leather Fur Pull On Chelsea Ankle Boots Girls Low Block Heel Shoes
- Hunter Women's Original Gloss Black Gloss Boot size 6 US/ EURO 37
- Lucky Brand Women's Everdein StoneRock Oiled Suede Tall Boots Size 9.5M NWOB
- Pierre Hardy Womens White Gem Slider Leather Sneakers Size IT40/US10~RTL$695
- Man's/Woman's Hand painted unique sneakers Queensland new leading the fashion
- Stuart Weitzman Size 8.5 Pewter Heels New Womens Shoes
- COLE HAAN Size 7 Black Leather Open Toe Heels Pumps Shoes
- Womens Sweet Bowknot Hollow Out Pointy Toe Block High Heels Patent Leather Shoes
- STUART WEITZMAN Brown Pump High Heel 7.5 M
- DIANE von FURSTENBERG 'Michelle’ Leather Platforms Sz 9.5 US / 39.5 EU $395 NWOB
- Lauren Ralph Women's Georgina Espadrille Wedge Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Gentleman/Lady V 1969 Italia Womens Pump ADRIANA Easy to use Impeccable Popular recommendation
- PLEASER Platform Shoes High Heel Stripper Sandal Slide Stiletto XTREME-802 Clear
- Sam Edelman ARDELLA PUTTY SDE 8M SANDALS NEW WITH BOX SUPER CUTE!
- Lacoste, 25SPW1113-14C, Marice JAW SPW TXT LT GRY/LT GRY
- Nike Mens Nike Sb Check Solar Cnvs Black Fashion Sneaker Size 11.5 (37239)
- PUMA STREET MID DRIVER SHOES BLACK & FLUO-LIME GLOBAL RALLYCROSS SNEAKERS 11.5
- Fila Mens Forward 3 Running Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- ASICS TIGER GEL-LYTE V 5 NS no. Sew Men's Trainer Sport Shoes Trainers Shoes
- Vans Old Skool Gum Block Checker Board Black White Mens and Kids Sz Checkerboard
- Lacoste LT SpirIt 2.0 317 1 SPM Trainers in Black & White 734SPM0024
- Nike Air Max Zero Essential Black White Wolf Grey 2017 Men's Running 876070-005
- Asics GEL-Kayano 24 [T749N-9090] Men Running Shoes Carbon/Black
- Nike Air Jordan 5 V Retro Premium SZ 11 Pure Platinum Pinnacle 881432-003 1 xi
- Adidas Superstar Ultrastar JMJ Jam Master Jay RUN DMC Size 11-NEW!RARE!
- Buckled Chrome Plated Straps Back Zip Black High Knee Boots Shoes Adult Men
- Man's/Woman's prada mens shoes size 6 Reputation first Wholesale trade value
- Bed Stu Mens Leather Sneaker Bishop Black Rustic Size 10.5 M
- Mezlan Custom Double Monk Strap Black Suede Toe Design Size 8
- Derby à Boucles GORDON et BROS Cuir Noir T 40 ETAT NEUF
- Men's/Women's Men's Dress Shoes by Paul Fredrick the most convenient online shop Exquisite (processing) processing
- Nike LD Runner LW Women's Premium 902863 002 SZ 10.0 M
- New Balance 620 Street Beat Casual Medium Women's Shoes Size 5.5
- Easy Spirit Women's Romy Black/Dark Grey Leather 8 W US
- Saucony Women's Triumph ISO 3 Navy/Blue S10346-5 Brand New in Box Sizes 6-11B
- Women's Vionic Sierra Active Sneakers Navy US Sizes M W
- New Balance Men's Fresh Foam Zante V3 Breathe Pack Running Shoe
- Seychelles Womens Boots Tall US 8 Black Leather Suede Textile Zip Buckle Pocket
- Women Knee High Boots Suede Platform High Block Heels Fur Trim Bowknot Zip Shoes
- Roper Women's Stars and Stripes Western Boot, Brown, 7 D US
- Laredo Women's Sadie Cowgirl Boot - Square Toe - 5673
- Frye Cece Seam Tall Women's US 9 M Black Knee High Boot NEW WITH TAGS
- Mizuno Sonic Rush White Black Men Running Racing Shoes Trainers J1GA1883-09
- Mr/Ms Clarks OUTDRIVE DRIFT White/Blue mod. 350265 flagship store high quality Maintenance capability
- Columbia Womens Minx Mid II White Winter Boots Shoes 5 Medium (B,M) BHFO 0309
- Ladies Black Thigh High Boots Sexy High Heels Pointy Toe Stage Party Shoes 77
- Alegria Nanook Winter Boots Brown Suede And Faux Fur Lined Size 36 (6-6.5)
- Franco Sarto Women's Harwick Cognac Leather Ankle Flat Boots
- Wmns Nike AF1 Flyknit Low Air Force 1 Womens Lifestyle Shoes Sneakers Pick 1
- Ladies Clarks Pull On Heeled Leather Ankle Boots Adya Bella
- giuseppe zanotti Size 37.5 Black Leather Heels
- PAUL GREEN Women's Black Patent Leather Square Toe Slip On Loafers Sz 5.5 B3885
- Dolce Vita Women's Lesly Espadrille Sandal Light Blue Denim Espadrilles
- Abeo Shoes 8N Black Women's Leather Mary Janes Embellished Strap
- Loeffler Randall Women's Frances Oxford, Black, Size 7.0
- HADDI by Donald J Pliner Black Soft Vachetta Leather, Womens' Size US 7M, Wedge
- NEW Womens Oh! Healthy Heels "Kora" Comfort Sandal Shoe SIZE 39 or 8 1/2 M
- Jessica Simpson Women's Charie Suede Ankle-High Pump
- Jeffrey Campbell Raid Black Leather Women's Wedge Shoes Sz 10 M
- Thierry Rabotin Italy Women's Shoes Sz39.5US 8.5/9Peeptoe Pewter Heels WITH BOX!
- MANOLO BLAHNIK - Cream Black Snakeskin Strappy Slingback High Heel Sandal 8 38.5
- YSL YVES SAINT LAURENT Tribtoo Dark Brown Leather Platform Pump Heel Shoe 40 NIB
- New Summer Womens T-Strap Zip Sandals Fashion Korea Wedges Leather Casual Shoes
- New Balance Womens Running Shoes Size 9 (42858)
- Jimmy Choo 'Pallis' Black Wedge Sandals 5107 Size 40 EU
- Puma Suede Classic Crafted Black Men Sz 7.5 - 12
- Nike Air Force 1 Low Premium BE TRUE Men’s Sz 8.5 BLK/White 318775-004
- Adidas Men's Alphabounce Shoes NEW AUTHENTIC Grey/Onyx/Aqua BB9035
- adidas Men's Stealth, Core Black/Grey Five/Carbon, 14 M US - Choose SZ/Color
- New Balance Men's 1080V7 Running-Shoes, Pisces/Black, 9 D US
- ECCO Biom Fjuel Racer Men's Sneaker silver metallic US 10 - 10.5 M ()
- Nike Flyknit Racer Orange- Men’s Size 7.5 Excellent Condition
- Nike Train Speed 4 Amp NFL NY New York Giant's QS Size 14 848587 610
- NEW ADIDAS ULTRA BOOST GREY WHITE 2016 NEW SZ 12 BB6059 UB
- Men Zipper Keen High Boots Riding Military PU Leather High Top Boots Zsell
- LOS ALTOS MEN RUSTIC BLUE GENUINE PYTHON SNAKE COWBOY J-TOE BOOT 995782 (EE)
- EFFINGHAM BOND BOOTS M BROWN LEATHER MENS TALL RIDING BOOTS SZ 11M
- Rockport Men's Zaden Gore Slip on Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Men's Cole Haan C13738 LunarGrand Wingtip Derby Shoes Size-7.5M Brown
- Florsheim Men's Brookfield Bit Black Calfskin/Deerskin Loafers
- BZ375 FDF SHOES shoes black leather men elegant
- Men's/Women's Boot Nine West Hadriel Natural Suede for you to choose Pleasant appearance Breathable shoes
- 12756 Rose Skechers shoes Women Memory Foam Sport Train Comfort Casual Athletic
- WOMENS PUMA SUEDE CLASSIC GOLD in colors BLACK / GOLD SIZE 6
- MUST SEE AWESOME NWOT New Balance CAPSUL TARTAN WL999WG SHOES WOMENS 8 B!!
- Asics Lift Master Lite Weight Training Lifting Womens Shoes Teal/Black/Silver
- Jessica Simpson Women's Grizella Platform Knee High Boot Black Velvet Zipper
- adidas Performance AQ2433 Womens Adizero Adios 3 W Running Shoe
- Polo Sport Women's 8 B Black Buckle Low Duck Boot Oxford Slip-On Loafer WG1954
- Charles By Charles David Honey Western Ankle Boots Suede Leather Pull On Black 8
- Women's Skechers 46665 Highlander Alaskan Range Knee High Boots SZ 9.5 BLK
- Womens Ladies Leather Suede Roman Mid Calf Boots Chunky Heels Motor Biker Shoes
- Kamik Women's Shellylo Rain Boot Sycamore Print 9 M US
- Womens IVANKA TRUMP ONNA 224860 black leather tall boots sz. 6.5 $199
- FERGIE ADMIRE DRESS ZIPPER BOOTIES IVORY SIZE - 7.5 - NIB
- Sam Edelman Women's Peters 2 Mule - Choose SZ/color
- FRYE 79929 Womens Nora Zip Short Ankle Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- CHURCH'S men shoes Black leather Nunton chelsea boot Custom grade Commando sole
- Tamaris Womens 25065-31 Hi-Top Trainers, Blue Navy 805, 8 UK
- Ladies Clarks Slip On Flat Shoes - The Style Blanche West4 ~ N
- Art Mens I Brea 997 Fashion Sandals, Brown, 45 EU
- Women's Leather Pointed Toe Pearls Party Flat Heels Mules Clubwear Fashion Shoes
- LADIES SHOES/FOOTWEAR - Arcopedico L19 boot cherry
- HUSHPUPPIES H95099 Womens Steel Toe Safety Boots Black Size 7 m US NEW
- Sam Edelman Women's Ruby Pointed Toe Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- GUESS CHRINA EMBOSSED KNEE GLADIATOR SANDALS GOLD HIGH HEEL SZ 5.5
- NEW! NIB CORSO COMO Black Raffia BALLO Wedge Comfort Platform Sandal Sz 11 $165
- Wmns Karen Scott Pippa Casual Wedge Pumps SZ: 10 M
- Gentlemen/Ladies Sbicca Women's Carolena Wedge Sandal Fine processing Reliable performance Explosive good goods
- Nine West 25020035 Womens Fault Synthetic Dress Pump- Choose SZ/Color.
- Coclico New With Box Currant Heel Ringo Black
- GUISEPPE ZANOTTI SWAROVSKI CRYSTAL RHINESTONE PUMPS SIZE 37.5 NIB $1195
- Gentleman/Lady PORRONET Compense FI158VE Cuivre Diverse new design Sufficient supply Human border
- Nike Free 5.0 Print Running Shoes Model Womens Size US 6.5M
- NIB MIUMIU PEARL SLIDES RETAIL $950 SIZE EU39.5
- Nike Zoom JA FLY 3 OC Rio Track & Field Spikes 882032-999 SZ 11.5
- Nike Men's Free Hypervenom 2 Action Red/Black Soccer Training Shoe 9.5 Men Us
- Nike Fl-Rue Mens Running Trainers 896173 Sneakers Shoes 500
- EUC New Balance Men's US 12D 990v4 Running Shoes Black/White Suede M990BK4 A7
- New! UA Curry 2.5 Black/Red/Elemental 1274425-001 Size 11.5 Retail $135
- New Nike Air Max 1 Essential AM1 Black Crimson Red Shoes 537383 017 Size 11
- Altra Mens Torin 3 Shoes AFM1737F-7 Black/Red Size 9.5
- Nike PG 2 II Hot Punch Anthracite Black White Wolf Grey Paul George AJ2039-100
- Gentleman/Lady Air Jordan 11 space jam 2016 Fashion pattern Known for its good quality Sales online store
- Jimmy Choo Sloane Calfskin Leather Smoking Slipper Black Calfskin Leather/Suede
- Harley Davidson Motorcycle Boots Men's Black Leather Harness Embroidered Logo 13
- Mens British Pointy Toe Oxfords Buckle Nightclub SLip On Loafer Shoes NEW E471
- New Mens Trendy Point Toe Leather Party Nightclub Snakeskin Loafers dress shoes
- Brand Q Men's Mood Style Elegant Edgy Black Slip-On Shoes Size 9
- Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft Men's Black Cap Toe Dress Shoes Size 9 e5
- men's shoes OSSIANI 6 () elegant blue suede BX307
- Allen Edmonds "LEEDS" Oxfords 10.5 B Black (356)
- Nike Court Royale GS 833535 001 Juniors Womens Shoes Black Nubuck Casual Sneaker
- Man/Woman [CG5462] Womens Adidas Originals Superstar W Year-end special promotions low cost Global sales
- NIKE WMNS HUARACHE RUN ALL BLACK 634835-012 WOMENS 6-12
- Mizuno Wave Tornado X Low Women Volleyball Shoes Sz 7.5 Black & Neon Yellow NEW
- DZ777 MBT shoes brown leather women sneakers 6 - 6.5 ()
- New Nike Air Tailwind Sz 6 WMNS 36.5 105256-441 (2000) Cut out Running Classic
- Rialto Womens collins Pointed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots
- New Free People Royal Rush Ankle Boot Size 37 Msrp.$348 *Sold Out
- Fly London 9626 Riha Expresso Suede Brown Booties Sz
- SZ 10 NEW STUART WEITZMAN BOOTIE/ANKLE BOOT BLACK "GLOVE" HEEL SUEDE $595
- adidas Neo Lite Racer CLN White Grey Men Running Casual Shoes Sneakers B96568
- MIGLIORE men shoes made in Italy Dark brown calf leather penny loafer
- BNWT 8 Womens Black Nappa Leather Point Boots Size 37 ()
- SCHOLL ORTHAHEEL CHANT Shoes *BNIB* RRP $159.95
- Laufsteg Mnchen Womens FS162426 Sneakers Beige Size 6.5
- Versace 19.69 D02 VERNICE NERO NAPPA BIANCO ballerina shoes Women's White US
- *Gorgeous and Comfortable*,Ganter of Germany, US 8, Black leather NEW,-W-05
- Danner Women's Light II Brown Nubuck Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
- naturalizer Villa Backless Penny Loafers, Black Leather, 6 US / 36 EU
- Salvatore Ferragamo Bow Green Leather Kitten Heels Womens Size 7 4A Extra Narrow
- B Makowsky Cassidy Black Leather Buckle Detail High Heel Boots 9.5 NEW
- Splendid Block Heel Bootie Smoke Suede Womens sz 10
- $84.99 New In Box Franco Sarto Tahini Riding Boots Coco Brown 5.5M Retail $189
- Kenneth Cole Womens alyssa Fabric Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Women's Pointed Toe Stilettos High Heels Strappy Sexy Party Sandals Shoe Plus Sz
- PLEASER Sexy 7" Heel Platform Black Marabou Feather Ankle Strap Women's Shoes
- Stuart Weitzman Black Silk Slingback Shoes 7M Sandals Stiletto 3.5 in Heel
- Tory Burch Silvana 105mm pumps heels shoes blue suede Size 8 medium NEW
- BALENCIAGA New sz 40 - 9.5 Auth Designer Womens Pumps Heels Shoes black $1335
- New Lucky Brand MINARI Leather Women Wedge Sandals Sz. 8
- Lucky Brand Ansel2 Slingback Flat Sandals, Sandshell
- Biewer Terrier Running Shoe For Women- Free Shipping
- Nike WMNS Air Force 1 Hi PRM - 654440 501
- Mens High Top Ankle Boots Platform Sprot Casual Shoes Hidden Heel Skateboard New
- Men's Jordan DNA Basketball Shoe AO1539 001
- New Balance Men's Zante v4 Running Shoe, Nubuck Scarlet/Phantom, 10.5 D US
- Air Jordan Retro 7 TD Football Cleats Men SZ 7.5 - 13
- Puma Men's Future Disc Lite Tech'D Out Athletic Sneaker Black/Zinnia 10.5 M US
- Nike Men Legend React Shoes Running Blue Training Sneakers Boot Shoe AA1625-400
- Nike Free RN 2018 Mens 942836-005 Black Crimson Grey Running Shoes Size 13
- Nike Air Zoom Flight '98 The Glove Black White OG 9.5
- Adidas Tubular Doom PK from japan (5111
- NIKE AIRJORDAN6 "championship pack" 28cm from japan (5061
- Mens New Leather Ostrich Leg Design Rodeo Western Cowboy boots R Toe Black
- Man's/Woman's Men’s 10 Black Cole Haan Loafers Beautiful color Fine art Amoy
- Demonia CREEPER-602S Creepers Black Suede D-Ring Casual Men's Shoes
- PF Flyers PM17OH3E Mens D US- Choose SZ/Color.
- New Mens Real Leather Wedding Prom Formal Dress Pointy Metal Toe Business Shoes
- Spike Men's Suede Pointed Punk Studded Rivet Loafer Casual Driving Dress 2018
- Mens Kenneth Cole New York Yard Black Slide Sandals [KMS8061LE 001]
- Skechers Sport Women's D'Lites Life Saver Fashion Sneaker, Black/Pink, 9 M US
- Nike Zoom Condition TR Training Shoe, Pure Platinum/White-Anthracite, 9
- Nike Zoom Rival MD 8 Women's Fuchsia Blast/Grand Purple/Ocean Bliss 06559505
- Man/Woman Drew Women's Zip II Packaging diversity luxurious Caramel, gentle
- Nike Women's Air Presto Linen Black White 878068-200 Size 10
- Nike W Air Vapormax Flyknit 2 [942843-012] Women Running Shoes Black/Gold
- Earth Origins Suede Water Repellent Ankle Boots Tori Navy 8M NEW A284011
- Ladies velvet high heel platform ankle boots zip plus size US5-12 shoes elegant
- Sexy Synthetic Suede Stiletto Over The Knee Womens High Knight Boots Plus Size
- Fly London Acid252fly camel oil suede winter snow boots nib sz US 8
- Men's/Women's RUCO LINE Shoes Black 36 Louis, elaborate Affordable Selling new products
I felt the need because in part I travel quite a bit and in traveling, I get an opportunity to meet different leaders and different pastors and I’m finding that although many have great educational backgrounds and have had great experiences in their local churches, the systems, people and culture changes so quickly that they’re not able to adapt to those changes fast enough. And so I wrote ‘4 D’ to say, ‘Hey, there are four critical areas in every church, wherever you happen to be, if you could focus on these areas, you could have a healthy, more vital, growing church.’ And those areas of course from the book are technology, worship, systems and hospitality, which on the surface sounds very easy, low-hanging fruit. But as you dig through that and apply it to your local church, it becomes some of the hardest but most rewarding work that you will ever do.
2. You recently hosted an online conference regarding the principles you shared in “4D Impact.” How did you teach the principles you learned in the one-hour conference?
It wasn’t designed to teach all of the principles in one hour. It was an introductory course. It was an introduction for people who may be skeptical, people who have heard these things before and they’re not quite sure and people who are totally sold out and they really want to tell their leaders, ‘Here is what I’ve been talking about. Here is someone else saying it.’
3. In this book, you share stories of success and failure from Impact Church’s ongoing journey. Tell me about one success and one failure and what you learned?
One story of success is beginning around literal coffee tables in Starbucks with a group of volunteers who are still so passionate about the vision we’re casting that 12 years later, Impact is what it is. So although now we have staff and our budget is larger, we historically have always and will always be dependent on volunteers. So as it relates to volunteerism, that is one of our successes.
One failure story which was really a learning opportunity is around what it means to literally disciple people to the next level. When you think about churches, most churches do discipleship or should do discipleship, meaning, ‘Hey, I want to be a Christian. I accept Christ and 10 years later, I shouldn’t be in the same place.’ So I don’t call it a failure but an opportunity. It is typical of new churches, meaning we start like gangbusters and then one day, you wake up and you realize, ‘Oh my God, we have to take these people somewhere.’ So that is a constant question for us, ‘How do we take people to a place of Christian maturity while knowing that as a 12-year-old, preteen church, we can’t take people all of the way. But what is that part of the way that God is calling us to? So that’s been an opportunity for us to learn. We don’t always get it right but one day, we hope to say, ‘If you hang out at Impact, this is what you will look like as a Christian.’
How did you galvanize those volunteers?
I was blessed to work at a large church for about five and a half years before we started Impact. While I was there, I built some great relationships and I also built some great relationships in the marketplace who I was able to pull in. And it wasn’t just me. The volunteers invited people so we all pulled in folk. So it was relationships.
What do you mean by “you can’t take people all of the way?”
If you think about a discipleship model in the alphabet, beginning with A and going all the way to Z, some churches will say, we can take you all the way to Z, but that’s really not true. You have to think of a church like a supermarket or another store. Target is great, but they’re not going to sell everything. Wal-Mart is great, but they’re not going to sell everything. And so typically a shopper has to piecemeal their shopping list along the lines of two or three locations. And that’s the reality of where spirituality is in the 21st century. No one church can do everything for one person or should we. But we should be able to know what we do very well.
So when we talk about a discipleship model, that may mean you meet Impact as a seeker, trying to understand who Jesus Christ is and then when you leave Impact, whenever that is, maybe you will have taken a Bible Study or been part of a small group that helps you understand the Bible, that helps you understand prayer, that helps you understand other spiritual disciplines. And then you can go on to another church and go deeper in another spiritual dynamic or in another area and while you’re with them, you’re learning even more than what you learned than when you were with us. But we were a part of that foundational story that helped you get to the next level of your spiritual growth.
So you don’t think a church should try to keep members for their lifetimes?
It depends on the life and stage of the church and the life and stage of the member. For instance, a month ago, I was at a church and they were celebrating their 154th church anniversary. There are some members who have been members of that church for all of their lives and that works for them. But I think the way that culture is shifting because of jobs, because of geography, because folks today don’t mind living in a city two or three years, it’s going to be virtually impossible for healthy, thriving growing churches to say we have lifetime members. We have lifetime support. We have lifetime encouragement. And we have lifetime shared stories but for you to be here your entire life is unlikely and typically if you’re a young adult.
4. Some people are skeptical of megachurches. I’m not sure if Impact is considered a megachurch but it is a large church. For example, my husband was just saying to me that he wonders how some churches grow to megachurch size without some shenanigans being involved or the message of the gospel being compromised somehow. As a church growth expert, do you feel that every church should have thousands of members in order to be healthy?
I don’t. The numerical size does not determine health or vitality of a local church. What most people don’t know is in America, the average size church is 75 people so when you see these large churches and megachurches or gigachurches, those are a minority. They are not the norm. It’s like what you see in the United States of America. It’s mostly made up of these small towns. You’ve got these huge cities like Atlanta but if you travel outside of Atlanta, a lot of America is rural, grassroots people who grow crops, who have industries that literally service the world. And it’s the same thing with the local church. I believe my expertise comes in by saying, ‘I don’t necessarily want you to grow larger for the sake of; I want you to be as healthy as you can be and as vital as you can be. And if you do that, you will reach the world for Jesus Christ.’
But to your husband’s point, I do believe some churches can grow that large without any abnormalities, without anything happening that can be indifferent or bad because there are just some churches and yeah, it’s spiritual and it’s favor, but God’s favor is on every church. Some people think this church is big because God’s favor is on it. No God’s favor is just as present in that church with 80 people but there are just some things that work for that church. It may be a strong lay leader. It may be a strong Sunday School system. It may be a strong small group system.
Or they are just are in the right geography. Sometimes when you watch football, you will see these small towns that have college teams. For instance, you take the University of Georgia. I’m here right now in Michigan and I just passed Notre Dame. Now Notre Dame is a small city, but it has a huge school. And I think sometimes these schools are located in places where there isn’t a pro team presence so that the college team is the pro team and there is a lot invested in that. You can just be in the right community and you’re the only show in town. So by nature of being the only show in town, you’re going to be bigger if you’re healthy.
5. To assess the “health” of a church, you assess culture, hospitality, worship, and technology. Tell me more about this assessment process and the diagnostic tools in the book.
The first thing I do is to come in and get to know the church’s story and that means getting to know their history and their present and then from that you will begin to hear the culture of the church because every church has a culture. Culture may mean very strong pastoral leadership. Culture may mean very strong lay leadership. Culture may mean this is an outreach and missions church. You get to know their stories and their culture.
And then you observe their worship because people can tell you about their worship but you actually have to sit in on their worship. A couple of weeks ago, I was in Florida, sitting in on Sunday morning, on a worship experience at a church. After that, I was able to give some written feedback and oral feedback to the leader of that church or the pastor who will soon be the leader so that he and the other leaders can take that and work through each of those details related to worship and make that more vital.
Technology is more of an Excel spreadsheet where you’re taking inventory of current technology, outdated technology. You’re breaking that into software because a lot of people don’t think about that. And you also break that into hardware. And from that you can address budget decisions and directional path decisions about what we want to look like as a church in technology.
Systems can be broad but one of the things I tell people about systems is that there are open systems and closed systems. And you think about language for instance. Whenever someone stands and gives an announcement and says, ‘Hey, thank you for being a part of church family. We’re glad you’re here.’ Words like that are closed system words meaning when you say family, that means we have everybody we need and we don’t necessarily need new people. So your language is a system and people don’t think about that. So myself and my team leaders will come in as outsiders with neutral opinions, wanting to help and not harm you because we all want to reach people for Jesus Christ.
6. What inspired you to write “Leadership Directions from Moses?” which is described a handy tool for those dealing with the departure of key members from the church.
It doesn’t matter the age or stage of a church, people leave from day 1. The very first Sunday service that we had Impact, some people left afterward. People come with preconceived expectations. And we started in a middle school. And there weren’t any crosses up. There were no stained glass windows. Some people said, ‘This is great for y’all but it’s not for me.’ So people are always leaving and people are always coming.
But I wrote this book for leaders like me who struggle with sharing vision, struggle with delegation and also who struggle with understanding that the same way God speaks to me, God also speaks to other people. So when we read Moses’ story that then leads into Joshua, we always assume at all 12 tribes made it into the Promised Land. But if you read Numbers 32, the Reubenites and the Gadites come to Moses when they are in a geographic area called the Transjordan, they say, ‘Hey Moses, we like where we are.’ Moses makes a compromise and says, ‘Okay, if you help us go fight for the land, then you and your families can come back here.’ So time moves on. Moses dies. Joshua is the new leader. Joshua divides out the land and that’s when Joshua tells those two tribes, you can now return to that place.
What typically happens with leaders is that we demonize people for having a different vision or a different path, and we then only focus on those people who don’t want to go where you feel God has called you to go and those are two fatal mistakes in leadership. Because one, we don’t honor other people’s vision and how they hear God and two, we take our eyes off of the majority of people who still want to move forward and we put all of our emphasis on the minority group of people who don’t necessarily want to move forward. So it works through three critical conversations: self-conversation around self-awareness and self-differentiation, conversation with others around casting vision and helping them understand what God is sharing in your heart, and finally those difficult conversations that we have with God when you’re down and out. Ultimately, we all have a promise and we can get there but we only get there through these difficult conversations.
7. Is there anything else you would like to add?
First of all, thank you for this interview. I do share with groups as I travel and at home, that in spite of all the difficulties with leaders in general, but specifically with leaders of local churches, both clergy and lay people, are facing, this is the greatest evangelistic opportunity of our lifetime. I know we’re seeing a decline in church attendance and more and more people are opting out of religion in general, but I still believe this a great opportunity if we’re willing to reach people in a 21st century way with the same theology we’ve always had but we have to be willing to retool, we have to be willing to reshape and we have to be willing to reach culture where they are and not expect them to walk through our doors and just show up.
For more information about Naya Burgundy VIRTUE Slouch Ankle Boots Size 9.5Mand Prada Women’s Black Leather Zip Ankle Boots Shoes SZ /2 US 91/2 Italy and Pastor Olu Brown, go to @pastorolubrown on Men's/Women's ASPIRE-1018 Crazy price Optimal price Seasonal promotion and his website olubrown.org.