RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- NEW BALANCE VAZEE COAST Running MENS D Medium Width MCOASBF NIB
- Fred Perry Umpire Suede Leather Men's Trainers in Bluebell Size UK-10/7 Genuine
- New Balance 247 Lifestyle Shoes White Men MRL247-DW
- Nike Air Jordan Skyhigh OG Black/Black-Sail 819953-011 Men's SZ 10.5
- Men’s LeBron Soldier 10 SFG 844378-103 size 10
- Nike Tiempo Vetta QS Mens Trainers 845045 300 Sneakers Shoes
- Nike Men’s AIR MAX GOADOME 2013 ‘Army Olive’ Sz 6/WMNS 7.5/
- Jason Dill × VANS OG AUTHENTIC Supreme Syndicate Vintage Sneakers US 10.5
- adidas X BAIT STAN SMITH VULC 'HAPPY' - CBROWN/GREEN/VIVRED - AQ7936
- Georgia Boot Georgia Giant Steel Toe 6" Work Boot G6374 Size 8.5 M
- Mezlan Men's BELUCCI BLACK Dress Zipper Exotic Boot 3663-J Handmade in Spain
- Watch,Mens Casual Business Genuine Leather Watch,Dress Fashion Multifunction...
- New Rag & Bone Spencer Derby Oxford Shoes Suede - Mens Sz 8.5 9 $425
- Hot Carved Pointed Toe Dress Formal Casual Shoes Slip On Loafers Buckle British
- Men's Chain decor Pointy Toe Slip On Leather Formal Loafers Wedding Shoes d355
- Sketchers Women's Shape-Ups Toning Walking Sneaker Grey/Black/Baby Blue SIZE 7.5
- Nike Womens WMNS Air Max Coliseum 553441 160 White/Clb Pink/Met Silver NIB Sz 12
- Gentleman/Lady ASICS Women's Cross Freak Shoe Exquisite (middle) workmanship Settlement Price Outstanding style
- Reebok Club C 85 Vintage Womens Khaki Nubuck & Synthetic Trainers
- Nike Air Force 1 '07 AF1 Low Black Women’s Size 6.5 Iridescent 2018 All Star
- Nike Women's Air More Uptempo White Chrome Blue Tint (917593-100) sz 10.5
- ECCO Womens SoftHigh-Top Fashion Sneaker / 7-7.5- Pick SZ/Color.
- $205 BCBG BCBGeneration Womens BG-Button Over The Knee Boot Shoes, Grey, US 5.5
- Riding Equestrian Boots Leather Size 6.5 B black unbranded
- Womens High Heels Stilettos HOT Sexy Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Riding Boots SZ
- Womens Real Natural Colorful Fox Fur Warm Mid-Calf Snow Thick Boots Luxury Shoes
- Gentle Souls Womens Penny Ankle Bootie- Pick SZ/Color.
- Altra Footwear Women's Lone Peak 4.0 Mid RSM Trail Running Shoe
- Jeffrey Campbell Crowned Jewels Loafer in Beige Satin available
- Aquatalia Taupe Dark Brown Charlize Suede Rabbit Fur Trim Bootie Shoe 9.5 New
- Blundstone WORK BOOTS 140 BROWN Leather, Steel Cap*AUS Brand-Size 10, 10.5 Or 11
- Eileen Fisher Willis Suede Back Zip Block Heel Dk.Taupe Booties-6.5 M -MSRP $275
- Axel Arigato Sneakers Sz 38 Beige Taupe
- Ladies Clarks Casual Ankle Boots - Clarkdale Arlo
- Man/Woman Pleaser TABOO-708UV feature Brand Speed refund
- ARCHE Ballerines Cuir Elastiqué Blanc T 35 TBE
- Skechers Womens Work Oswald Clara Comfortable Slip On Clog Shoes
- Camper Women Shoes Sz 38 7.5 Beige Wedge Heels
- New Christian Dior Womens Shoes Mesh Espadrille Flats Size 37 Black Slip Ons
- Man's/Woman's 8100 Melrose Leather Platform Strippy Sandal Excellent craft Has a long reputation Quality and consumer first
- Gentleman/Lady Fergalicious Women's Wren Black/G3000 Microfiber M superior Known for its good quality Quality and consumer first
- TURQUOISE - ROYAL BLUE - GREEN WEDGES - 9M - JANINA
- CASADEI MULES, NO APPLIQUÉS, ROUND TOE, SIZE 8.5
- Badgley Mischka Women's Haskell Dress Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Alice + Olivia 'Ronan' Patent Leather Platform 37.5 NEW! $298
- Women's Shoe Size 36 Miu Miu Calzature Donna Sneakers
- Female new nightclub sexy fringed shoes fish mouth shoes loose cake sandals new
- Women's Vionic Slippers Gemmalux Taupe Sz US 8- Walk Pain Free
- Ted Baker Women's Mirobep Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Air Jordan 10 Retro X 30th Lady Liberty Statue Dust Metallic 705178-045 Size 10
- ASICS GEL KAYANO TRAINER KNIT EVENING SAND SUNSET HN7Q2 1717 Men’s 10.5 & 11
- Mens Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 University Red 831352-601 size 8.5 and 10
- 315123-407 Nike Men Air For 1 Mid 07 Midnight Navy White
- NIKE Vapor Untouchable Flyknit TD Football Cleat Blue Gold 707455-426 Size 15
- NEW BALANCE MRL247WR - 247 Life Style Size: - Color:
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 ESSENTIAL BLACK-BLACK-DARK GREY SZ 10 [875695-002]
- Nike Air Zoom Winflo 5 Men's Athletic Running Shoes Sneakers Red Size 7-11
- Nike Air Max 270 Flyknit Mens AO1023-401 Royal Fuchsia Running Shoes Size 11.5
- RARE Mens Harvik Logger Chain Saw Resistance, Grade 1 Champ Spiked Boots, SZ 13
- Men's Horsepower by Anderson Bean Tan Square Toe Boots, Sz 10.5
- New Cabelas Mens Brown Techni Stride Walkers Vibram Sole Comfort Shoe Sz 14 B
- Sanuk Men's Pick Pocket Moc Toe Shoe
- MERRELL MENS ENCORE REXTON SLIDE LEATHER AC+ BLACK SIZE 10.5
- Vintage mens genuine leather high top oxfords shoes retro cambat ankle boots hot
- Vintage Florsheim Imperial Oxford 5 Nail Wingtip Black Leather Dress Shoes 9 B
- NIB Saint Laurent Paris Degrade Jacquard Rainbow Flip Flop, US7
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.