RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- MIU MIU Canvas Blue High Heel Flip Flop Sandals Open Toe Stilettos Mules Sz US 7
- Asics Gel-Storm Mens Comfortable Running Sport Shoes
- Nike Zoom KD 9 Multi-Color/Metallic Silver 843392-900 Summer Pack White/Gum
- adidas X TANGO 17.3 TF - Black - Mens
- Mens NIKE INTERNATIONALIST SE Olive Trainers AJ2024 200
- Men’s Nike 315090 Air Force 1 Premium 07 (Jones) Size 10.5 Silver/Anthracite/Red
- Hi-Tec Bonete Low WP Waterproof Vibram Men's Shoes Leather Hiking Shoes Outdoor
- Man/Woman Jordan B.Fly Men's Black/Concord/White 81444016 Promotion Make full use of materials Popular tide shoes
- Man/Woman VANS sneakers 28.5cm from japan (1062 Charming design Moderate cost leading the fashion
- Nike Air More Uptempo '96 UK QS London Euro City Pack Amarillo Pippen AV3809-700
- SIZE US 7.5,/3 PHARREL WILLIAMS HUMAN RACE HU NMD TRAIL HOLI BLANK CANVAS
- Laredo Long Haul 62001 Mens Black Leather 7" Zipper Boots
- RIPNDIP "Nerm" High Top Sneakers (Lavender) Lord Nermal Shoes
- Mens Slip On Driving Moccasins Casual Loafers Round Toe Breathable Shoes Plus Sz
- Converse Men's Size 12 John Varvatos Mini Stud Black Leather $250 Shoes 151295C
- Lucasarts Lucien Piccard Mens Milanese Quartz Stainless Steel and Leather Watch,
- Brand New Giorgio Brutini Men's Tuxedo Loafer Slip on Multi-color 0 original
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 PREMIUM 07 WOMEN SZ 12 / MEN SZ 10.5 SHOES 315186-761 NEW
- Womens ADIDAS ZX FLUX ADV VERVE W Red Textile Trainers AQ3219 RRP .99
- Women's Nike Roshe Run 511882 091 Wolf Grey/White-Black Running Shoes Size 11
- SAINT LAURENT YSL Black/White Babycat Slip On Skate Sneakers Shoes 7 / 37 $595
- ADIDAS WOMAN SPORTS RUNNING SNEAKER SHOES SYNTHETIC CODE BB1733 PUREBOOST XPOSE
- New $299 Bikkembergs Patent Leather Pearl Black Sneaker Size 38 8
- Nike Air Max 1 ULTRA LOTC QS SHANGHAI CITY PACK Red sz 8.5 FLORAL [747105-600]
- Stretchy Sneakers Flat Ankle Boots New Women Knitting Black Cotton Blend S322
- AQUATALIA BY MARVIN K XUBE BLACK SUEDE WEDGE HEELS SZ 6.5
- MuckBoots Women's Breezy Casual All Purpose Ankle Boot Purple Gingham 5 M US
- Women's GB-Gianni Bini Awe Struk Black Ankle Suede Leather Boots 9.5M
- Women Winter Boots Comfy Moda Everest Size 6-12
- The Original purple MUCK boot - women's size 10/10.5 like bogs rubber boots
- Bottes trappeur model 109335 Inello - Matter - Shoes
- Macie Bean Western Boots Womens Lefty's Poncho Serape Brown M9078
- || BARGAIN || Asics Gel Mission 3 SL Mens Walking Shoes (D) (9016)
- Man/Woman Ariat Men’s Quickdraw Tumbled Bark/Beige Boots Modern technology Beautiful appearance Exquisite processing
- Clarks Ladies Marquette Wish Ankle Black Leather Boots UK Size 7 D
- Gentlemen/Ladies Y3 Sunja Slip On Special price The highest quality material Direct business
- Lamb Wool House Shoes - biekamp Crocodile Black Women's Slipper Merino Fur
- FRYE Women's Sienna Ghillie Suede Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Stuart Weitzman Rascal Brown Tortoise Crocodile Loafers Driving Shoes 10.5 MINT
- Mr/Ms Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Exact Mule Complete specification Upper material Export
- samples shoes BALLERINE OSIRIS LOVELY BROWN INK WOMEN
- PLEASER High Heel Stiletto Pump Patent Mini Platform Peep Toe SEXY-42 Red Patent
- Mario D' boro Genuine Leather Pointed Flat Heels 5
- PLEASER Sexy Platform 5" High Heels Stripper Shoes w/ Iridescent Rhinestones
- Prada Womens Shoes Size 36 6 Black Leather Open Toe Heels Pumps Casual
- Gentleman/Lady NEW LERRE WOMENS PUMP Fashion pattern Sales Italy Different goods
- JIMMY CHOO Olive Slingback Heels Sz 36.5 $600
- NIB Christian Louboutin Donaflor 100 Black Velvet Figue Sandal Mule Heel Pump 37
- Keen Brown Leather Slides Shoes Sandals Womens 7 Comfort Clog Slip On
- Nike Wmns Classic Cortez PREM Metallic Mahogany Red Brown Women Shoes 905614-900
- Givenchy Mink Fur Pool Slide Sandal, Natural 35 MSRP: $595.00
- ROCKPORT Men's PRO WALKER White Leather Athletic Walking Shoe Size 8.5N
- Vans CHECKERBOARD SLIP-ON BLUE Canvas Classic Shoes VN0A38F7QCN FAST SHIP
- NIKE AIR MAESTRO II LTD WHITE JADE BLUE PIPPEN BASKETBALL SIZE 8-13 AH8511-100
- AB498 D.A.T.E. (DATE) shoes black leather suede men sneakers
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.