RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- New Prada Blue Patent Leather Criss Cross Cork Wedge Sandals Size 39/9 $590
- Nike Air Max 1 Retro 2009 Size 9.5 White Red Air Max 1 90 95
- Adidas Zx Flux Pk Athletic Men's Shoes Size 8.5
- NIKE AIR MAX RENEGADE WHITE BLACK MENS SHOES SIZE 8 NEW IN BOX
- Adidas CG3820 Men Fluid Cloud Neutral Running shoes black white sneakers
- Men's Adidas UltraBoost Uncaged Grey/White - DA9159
- NIKE MEN AIR MAX 1 ID BLACK-GREY-WHITE SZ 11 [943756-972]
- NEW ADIDAS Men's WHITE TUBULAR NOVA PK SIZE 9
- Nike Epic React Flyknit AQ0067-010 Gun Smoke Geode Teal Mens 10.5
- NIKE LEBRON XV 15 DARK ATOMIC TEAL/BLACK-TEAM RED SIZE MEN'S 10.5 [897648-300]
- Jordan 12 OG Bred XII Black/Red 1997 Size 9.5 Air Rare Limited 130690 061
- Caterpillar P89858 Endure Steel Toe - Men's Work Boot Oak - 10 Wide
- New Authentic $925 Cesare Paciotti US 9 Ankle Boots Italian Designer Shoes
- New Gravity Defyer Thierry Mens Casual Shoe Size US 7.5 Brown Leather
- Rockport Mens W (EE)- Pick SZ/Color.
- Prada Men's Black Leather High Top Zip Strap Sneaker
- ZOTA Men's Derby Cap Toe Black G120-3
- Nike Free OG '14 BR Women's Sz 11.5 NEW!! 644450 600 LASER CRIMSON AIR QS PRM
- ASICS T861N 8.5 GEL-FlUX™ 5 Wmn's Carbon/Black Mesh/Synthetic Running Shoes
- NIKE Air Max 1 Ultra Flyknit Womens Sz 9.5 Shoes Photo Blue 843387 400
- Sam Edelman Lelani Women's Blue Suede Faux Feather Sneakers Sz 7M 1110
- $225 size 7 Vince Warren Off White Platform Sneakers Slip Ons Womens Shoes NEW
- Teva Omnium W-W Womens Sandal- Choose SZ/Color.
- MEN'S NIKE AIR ZOOM KDX HYPER TURQUOISE BASKETBALL SHOES MEN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE
- NEW Melrose and Market Fallon Women's Brown Leather Ankle Boots US 8.5 Shoes 232
- Justin Womens Boots Cowboy L4966 US 8 B Brown Leather Pull On Rockabilly 2284
- Man/Woman Pleaser Womens Delight-3028 Boot- Pick SZ/Color. New product delicate have fun
- L'Artiste by Spring Step Womens Leather Boots Nusanka Purple Multi 37 US 7
- Baffin Chloe Winter Boots, Women's Size 8, Black
- Womens Stretchy Boots Side Zip Suede Dress Shoes Chunky Heel Casual Street Sizes
- Gentleman/Lady NEW WHAT FOR WOMENS ANKLE BOOTS Wear resistant Ranked first in its class Valuable boutique
- Tory Burch Ashlynn Riding Boots Almond Brown Leather Size 9M Leather boots
- AUTHENTIC LUXURY PRADA BOOTS 3W4947 FUMO NERO NEW US 10
- Oliver Work Boots, 34626, Steel Toe Safety. 'Claret' Elastic Sided. Brand New!
- Gentlemen/Ladies Sneakers Hogan Embroidered Comfortable feeling Sales Italy Fashion versatile shoes
- RIEKER L8357 LADIES SLIP ON BALLERINA PUMPS CASUAL SMART EVENING DOLLY SHOES
- Badgley Mischka Cabina Wedge Dress Sandals F25 Silver Metallic 7US Display
- Franco Sarto Womens Loafer Blanchette Slip On Shoe Tan Khaki Size 8M MSRP 99 New
- Tory Burch Powder Coated Melinda Leather Flats Shoes Light Makeup Size 8M
- Womens Non-Slip Shoes Chef Cooking Kitchen Comfort Clogs Light-weight Water Oil
- Burlesque Spring Step L'Artiste Collection Women's Sandals Grey Multi US 7
- JEFFREY CAMPBELL Tahiti Raffia Espadrille Platform Cutout Oxfords Sz 7 NEW NWOB
- New $299 Serena D'Italia womens white indian styled shoes size 37.5 US
- Kendall + Kylie Karmen Women's Heels Black
- STEVEN Steve Madden Bambu Dress Pumps 537, Black Velvet, 9 US
- Irregular Choice Miaow Black Satin Womens Hi Ankle Boots
- YSL Saint Laurent Penny Loafer Pumps with Block Heel Size 37
- $695 New CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN Ballalarina Black Flats SHOES Spikes Bow STUDS 38.5
- Merrell Men's Duskair Slide Leather Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Nine West Chaylen Flat Buckle Sandals, Light Natural Multi
- Camper Women's TWS K200620 Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Onemix Men's Fashion Running Shoes Waterproof Outdoor Sport Trainers Snerkers
- Adidas Cloudfoam Ilation Basketball Shoes in Black with Silver in Sz. 6.5 to 15
- Under Armour Micro G Elevate Yellow Black White Training Running 1249553 732 11
- Nike Manoa Leather Hiking Boots Grey 472780-002 Men's Size 12
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.