RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- Gentlemen/Ladies Nike Air Mission Size 8 629467-102 Fine processing discount Fine wild
- Asics Upcourt 2 [B705Y-9590] Men Volleyball Badminton Shoes Grey/Black-Silver
- Adidas Superstar Snake Pack [S82731] Original Casual White/Black SIZE 9
- Gentleman/Lady Adidas Men's Outrival Basketball Shoes Innovative design Order welcome Very practical
- Mens New Balance Fresh Foam Gobi Trail Running Shoes mtgobig0
- ASICS Men's Gel-Kayano Trainer EVO G-TX Fashion Sneaker, Light Grey/Black, 6.5 M
- DS 2013 NIKE AIR MAXIM 1 APC SP white/white-total orange 607541-118 sz 10
- Adidas Men Predator 18.1 FG Football Shoes Core Black CM7413 UK6.5-10.5 04'
- Nike Mens React Element 87 X Undercover Lakeside/Electric Yellow BQ2718-400
- Twisted X Men's' Chuck Up Brown Leather 6 Eyelet Shoe Boot 11 1/2 D MCU0001 VGUC
- FRYE Men's Chris Crepe Chelsea Boot Brown Size 7.0
- PUMA Select Men's Blaze of Glory Street Light Sneakers
- CLARKS Men's Charton Step Slip-On Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Mephisto Hurrikan Boat Shoe Rust Smooth Leather - size 8 - was $350
- Men Dress Leather Slip On Flat Bowtie Business Leisure Loafer Shoes Vintage Hot
- Chaco Men's Z2 Classic Athletic Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Brooks Womens Grey/White/Pink Running Shoes Size 8 (30809)
- Skechers Equalizer Dream On Women's Slip On Sneakers White Size 7.5
- New Balance Women's Vazee Rush v2 Shoes Blue with Blue & Pink 5.5 B
- Skechers Los Angeles 2016 Running Women's Shoes Size
- KEEN Utility Women's Atlanta Cool ESD Steel Toe Work Shoe Gargoyle 8 W US
- Mizuno Wave Rider 20 G-TX Women's Running Shoes J1GD177405 A 17L
- WOMENS DURANGO RD542 BROWN LEATHER SLOUCH COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS SZ 8.5~1/2 M
- Jessica Simpson Audrey DIstressed brown leather knee high boots size 7.5
- Womens Fashion Pointy Toe Back Zippers Suede Rhinestone Winter Court Ankle Boots
- NIB DR MARTENS AIMILIE DARK BROWN SUEDE FOLD DOWN 9 EYELET BOOTS US 11
- Dr. Scholl's Women's Beckoned Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Gentlemen/Ladies Forever 21 Suede Boots Crazy price Selected materials British temperament
- Corral Women's Black Full Inlay Snip Toe Western Boots G1417
- BROOKS RACER ST5 MENS RUNNING TRAINING SHOES MEDIUM U SIZE US14 UK13 EU48.5
- Dr.Martens - Arlington NS - Black Leather - 23122001 Industrial Full Grain
- STYLISH BLACK LEATHER KNEE HIGH CHARLES JOURDAN BOOTS WORN ONCE
- New Asics Gt-1000 2 Womens Cushioned Running Shoes
- Fly London Yip Women's Beige Leather Wedge Heel Zip Side Ankle Boots New
- PIERRE CARDIN PARIS Women's Shoes Size 37 Cream Leather Slingback
- Nine West Women's Graham Synthetic Ballet Flat
- DIOR black leather iconic Cannage w logos ballerina shoes ballet flats 38 / 7.5
- Fashion Women Embroidery colorful Flower Flats Loafers sneakers platform shoes
- Vivienne Westwood Anglomania + Melissa Lady Dragon XV '18 Pin and Pearl Vegan
- Man's/Woman's Nina shoes New product excellent Direct business
- Woman Esska Wanda Wedge Shoes Color Tan & Jade Green Size US 9.5 &
- Prada White Leather Buckle Wedge Platform Mule Slide Heels Women's 38 / 7.5
- Walking Cradles- Ramona Heels, Women's Size 7 W, Black
- Antelope 910 Woman's Black Leather Mule Heels 7226 Size 37 EU NEW!
- Prada Peep Toe Patent Leather Block Heel Pumps Royal Blue Size 38
- Onex Starr Black Slip-On Wedge Women's sizes 6,8,9 NEW!!!
- Nine West Womens Dacey Synthetic Heeled Sandal- Pick SZ/Color.
- Gold Womens Sexy T-strap Stiletto Roma Sandals Leather Date Party Shoes Pumps Sz
- DRIES VAN NOTEN Shoes 323231 RedｘMulticolor 36 1/2
- DC Shoes Mens Tonik TX Skateboarding ShoeD US- Pick SZ/Color.
- NEW Mens PUMA TSUGI SHINSEI Shoes French Roast/Tibetan Red/Hot Coral 36609801
- Nike Men's AIR FLIGHT HUARACHE LOW Off Court Shoes White 819847-100 a
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit OC Sz 10.5 100% Auth. Multicolor Unlimited 844862 999
- NIKE TIEMPOX FINALE 10R IC [AQ2201 007] TIEMPO X RONALDINHO INDOOR SOCCER SZ 13
- NEW BALANCE MZANTBK4 ZANTE FRESH FOAM SHOE SHOES BLACK (PVP IN STORE
- New Balance Men's RUSHV3 Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Men Zoom Assersion EP Basketball Shoes Black Grey 917506-004 US7-11 04'
- New NIKE AIR MAX PLUS TN 15994003 Black/Matte Silver/Volt/Wolf Grey Tuned Air c1
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Shattered Reverse 8US 7EU New DS
- Mens Cole Haan Original Grand Moc Chukka II C26175 Java Black Leather Boot $280
- COLE HAAN AIR WHITE CASUAL MENS SHOE size 8 RARE
- GRUPPO ITALIANO BROWN LEATHER SLIP ON DRESS SHOES MADE IN ITALY MENS SIZE 10
- STICO WSS-610 Brown Non-Slip Safety Shoes Work Boots Breathable ComfortKOREA_Mc
- NEW Rockport Charles Road Men’s Black Leather Cap Toe Oxfords US 10 M Shoes A356
- Stacy Adams Madison Tan Anaconda Print Leather Men Dress Shoe US Shoe Size 10 D
- Man/Woman Bally Marley Suede Orange Men’s Loafers Quality products Various types and styles Maintenance capability
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.