RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- NEW BALANCE CM1600CO SZ 8.5 MECHA GREY BLUE BLACK WHITE
- NIB Saucony Omni 16 Men's Running Shoes Size 9.5 US M Grey Navy Orange
- 100% AUTHENTIC DS NIKE LEBRON 11 DIFFUSED JADE CRIMSON SIZE 11
- Vans Authentic Weave DX Leather Black Men's Skate Shoes Size 11.5
- NEW NIKE AIR MAX 2016 MEN'S RUNNING SHOES OREO White/Black 806771-101 Size 12.5
- Nike Air Max Penny DB Doernbecher 728590 001 Size 8.5 No Lid
- British Mens Ankle Boots Shoes High Top Brogues Wingtip Formal Dress Shoes New
- Danner Mens Quarry USA 8" Distressed Brown (17315)
- Red Wing Shoes 2917 Chelsea Rancher Boots - Factory 2nds Size 11 D
- Sperry Top-Sider Boat Shoes Tan/Beige Boat Shoe 11 Wide New Without Box
- Tommy Hilfiger Men's Paddy6 Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- A|X Armani Exchange Stainless Steel Matte Textured Y-Link Bracelet Watch
- Cole Haan Wine Burgundy Red Moc Toe Tassel Loafer Dress Shoe Mens US 8D /
- Ricardo B.H. Men's Leather Moccasin
- New Saucony ProGrid Guide 5 Running Training Shoes Sneakers White Green Womens 7
- NIKE W TENNIS CLASSIC ULTRA FLYKNIT 833860-301 OLIVE FLAK ROYAL BLUE SIZE: 7.5
- Natural Soul Women's Carryon Loafer Brown Leather Loafers
- Women's Nike Air Max 95 SE Running Shoes Black Anthracite 918413-001 NEW Sz 9
- Nike Women's Air Max 2017 Running Shoe, 849560 402, Concord Violet, Size 7.0
- 626968 040 Nike Air Jordan III Fear GS sz 6.5 Women's sz 8
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Harleigh Ankle Bootie
- Womens Slim Suede Leather Slim Leg Over The Knee Boots Pointy Toe Knight Boots
- RARE NIB Ariat Pink Gator Baby Buck Leather Womens Boots Sz 8.5
- Merrell Women's Siren Sport Q2 Mid Waterproof Hiki - Choose SZ/color
- Sanuk Women's Nice Bootah Ankle Boot
- Women's 3 Colors Patent Leather Pointed Toe Stiletto Sexy Knee High Boots Shoes
- Demonia Women's Platform Vegan Ankle Boots Assault Cramp Dynamite Grip and more
- PIERRE HARDY Shoes 597359 Brown 37
- Sam Edelman Women's Elina Boot Black 8 B(M) US
- NIKE AIR MORE UPTEMPO RED WHITE SUPREME
- Adidas Cloudfoam QTFLex W [DA9449] Women Running Shoes Black/White
- New Womens Kendall + Kylie Green Khaki Felix Suede Boots Ankle Zip
- Nina Armando Susan – Navy High Heels
- Sam Edelman F2374F1 Womens Pemberly 2 Mule- Choose SZ/Color.
- Cole Haan Women's Zerogrand Wing OX, Black Velvet, 9 B US
- Pleaser Women's Moon 708DMCH Clear PVC/Red Chrome Ankle Straps
- Propet Orthopedic Loafer Shoes Size 11 M Briana Brown Croco Slip On Side Gore
- STUART WEITZMAN BROWN CROCO EMBOSSED CLASSIC FEVER PUMPS Sz 6.5M
- women's shoes OLGA RUBINI 6 () pumps black patent leather BX778-36
- AK885 STEVE MADDEN shoes silver shiny leather women pumps
- NEW! Nine West ROLES Dark Turquoise Wedge Strappy Elegant Sandals 8.5 M $110
- Womens TED BAKER SAVENNIERS black suede fancy pumps / heels sz. 39.5 $210
- new $995 PRADA red Spazzolato leather T-strap carved rubber WEDGES shoes 39 US 9
- Naturalizer Eliza Sandals 8.5W White Alabaster Leather Cross Strap Wedge Comfort
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Womens Lillith Canvas Open Toe Casual Doe Size 9.0
- New Women Vans Authentic Black Skateboarding Shoes Classic Canvas size US 9
- NEW! Sperry Top-Sider 'Savannah' Mule Slippers Tan Sparkle 11M
- LeBron James NIKE Zoom Soldier Basketball Sneakers SIZE 8 RED/BLACK
- New Balance Men's TWO FOUR SEVEN EDITION (247) Classic Shoes Grey with White
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Striper LL CVO Fashion Sneaker
- ADIDAS SUPERSTAR RT RED PERFORATED LEATHER ORIGINALS S79475 MENS FASHION
- NIKE MEN KOBE X 10 TB BASKETBALL SHOES TROPICAL TEAL 813030-301 SZ 17 THESPOT917
- Nike Air Jordan Retro XIV 14 Black Toe 2005 Last Shot Thunder OG Bred Mens 13
- SALE NIKE AIR MORE UPTEMPO 96 PREMIUM PRM FLAX WHEAT GUM AA4060 200 SZ 8.5 11
- Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid Mens 917753-301 Desert Moss Gum Brown Shoes Size 9.5
- Drew Men's Rocket Sneaker White Smooth Leather Sneakers
- vtg. "1998" N.I.B. Converse ALL STAR Chuck Taylor 2000 T.B. sneakers sz.19 .
- Pajar Mens Tuscan No Fur Boots F15/44593 Dark Brown Size 9-9.5 US/42-EU
- John Lobb Mens Authentic New Black Highgate Monkstrap Calf Boots Shoes Sz 8.5 US
- Gentleman/Lady Joya Caesar Black, US size 11 New product Online Elegant and solemn
- Nunn Bush Men's Carter 84561 Moc Toe Slip-On with KORE Black Leather
- Bally Dress Shoes Sz 10 B Brown Leather Slip On Decca Italy EUC YGI E7-1
- vtg Alden Shoes Brown Leather Oxford plain toe sz 12 A
- Nike Air Max Thea Women Cyber Lime - Size 40,5 - 9US - 6,5UK
- ASICS Women's Gel-Contend 3 Running Shoe, Sz 7.5, Steel Grey/Safety Yellow/Pink
- New Balance XC900 v4 Spike Women's Pisces/Bleached Lime Glo WXCS900L Sz 11 $90
- Women's Nike Air Zoom Ultra Preowned Tennis Shoe Size 8
- Womens 2017 New Ankle Boots Buckle Block Heel Punk Shoes Chealsa Real Leather sz
- Aquatalia Womens Kimberly Mid Calf Boot Anthracite Grey Suede Shearling Size 6.5
- Womens sexy 7" Strange High Claw Heel Platform Serpentine Print Mid-calf Boots
- Ryka Women's Grafik Flow Training Shoe Black/Pink/Meteorite Fitness Shoes
- NIKE Womens Classic Cortez Suede AA3839-003 DESERT SAND Size 9.5
- Louboutin Women's Spike / Studded Sneaker Size 40
- Corso Como womens black quilted Tall Riding Boots 9.5M
- Vionic Suede Ankle Boots - Anne Black 6.5 med
- Jack Rogers Womens Liddy Waterproof Ankle Boot- Pick SZ/Color.
- Women Dr.Scholls Confess Brown Boots Size 9.5 M NEW
- Womens Round Toe Suede High Wedge Heels Over Knee Thigh Boots Shoes US 4.5-8 Hot
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.